The Metal Building Contractors & Erectors Association has had a busy few months. Due to the COVID pandemic, they shifted gears and changed their 51st Annual Conference from a three-day live event into a 30-day online event last month. Additionally, MBCEA formally recognized their 2020 Building of the Year winners during this “virtual event,” which is typically done in person at the annual conference.
By changing their three-day live event into a 30-day online event, MBCEA offered 10 unique seminars to provide important industry information and money making opportunities to their membership. Hundreds of attendees took advantage of the on-line sessions covering subjects including energy codes, accreditation, wall and roof specialties, and even leadership skills in a Covid world. If you missed any or all of the sessions, it’s not too late to learn! MBCEA will keep the videos of all the sessions available to you for FREE through December. Simply REGISTER HERE for the virtual conference, follow the steps to download the app, and then you can view the recorded sessions! After December, they will be available to “members area” with a few available on MBCEA’s YouTube channel, so take advantage of this great offer now.
Congratulations to Scott Steel Erectors Inc. from Hamilton, Ontario, for being selected as the overall winner of the 2020 Building of the Year recognition for their Air Canada Hangar 5 project located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. The recognition also extends to building manufacturers Burnco Manufacturing, Varco Pruden, and Steelway Building Systems.
Awards of Merit | Education and Recreation
- Naylor & Breen Builders Inc. (Brandon, VT) and Peter Flewelling for their Middlebury College, Swing Space, Classroom Building in Middelbury, VT, along with the Essex Structural Steel Co., Inc.
- BARNES buildings & management group, inc. for their Boston Sports Institute (Wellesley, MA) project located in Wellesley, MA, along with building manufacturer, the Metallic Building Company.
Awards of Merit | Manufacturing and Warehouse
- Dunn Building Company (Birmingham, AL) for their Warrior Tractor & Equipment New Facility (Graysville, AL) project, along with building manufacturer MESCO
- APX Construction Group LLC (Mankato, MN) for their APX Construction Group LLC project, along with building manufacturer Metallic Building Company
Specialty | Award of Merit
- Sure Steel, Inc. (South Weber, UT) for their Southwest Airlines Maintenance Hangar based in Houston, along with building manufacturere Bluescope Heavy Structures
- Thomas Phoenix International, Inc. for their Gabrielli Truck Sales (Jamaica, NY) project along with building manufactuere Butler Manufacturing.
Judging this year’s competition were: Ronald Albert, AIA RHA Architects, Matthew Jarmel, Jarmel Kizel Architects & Engineers and Jerry Gorski, Gorski Engineering.
Winners are featured in this month’s issue of Metal Construction News, one of METALCON’s partner publication and sponsor of the annual show guide. METALCON is scheduled for October 21-23 in Las Vegas and REGISTRATION is open. Check out all the latest news regarding the show on the website or in the latest issue of METALCONnection.