As of April 1, 2019, RCI, Inc. officially became the International Institute of Building Enclosure Consultants (IIBEC; pronounced eye-bec).
The change was approved by the voting membership after years of discussion, an extensive study, a brand assessment, and industry-wide feedback. The name change will align the association’s name and brand with its purpose and strategy heading into the future.
The Roof Consultants Institute was originally incorporated in 1983 as a nonprofit association representing the nascent field of roof consulting. As the institute grew, its members branched out into consulting not just on roofs, but on the entire building enclosure, and its name was changed in 2006 to RCI, Inc.
RCI has grown from a small core of dedicated roof consultants to represent some 3600 members, comprising building enclosure consultants and other industry stakeholders specializing in roofing, waterproofing, and exterior wall specification and design. The evolving focus of the institute’s members in embracing the entire building enclosure called for a name that would clearly define its purpose as:
- An international association
- A professional institute representing building enclosure consultants – architects, engineers, and others such as ex-contractors who have gained the required education and experience
- A knowledge hub and leading authority on all things building enclosure (roofing, waterproofing, and exterior walls)
- An institute attractive to professionals of all ages, races, and genders
- An industry leader endeavoring to increase exposure, recognition, and usage of the institute’s resources by nonmember architects and engineers, government agencies (state and federal), and end users such as school boards, universities, facility managers, etc.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 919-859-0742 or 1-800-828-1902.